​Au​stralian Government COVID-19 travel restrictions and information for visa holders​​

Visa and Travelling Documents

Explore Visa Options - Department of Home Affairs

ALL visitors to Australia must have a valid visa to travel to and enter Australia.  If you are planning to visit Australia for the conference, you will need to apply for one of the visitor visas listed below. The passport which you hold determines whether you can apply online, or if you need to lodge a paper-based application. The following information will help you identify the right visa and application process applicable to you.


This information is a guide only. It is the responsibility of the individual traveller to make sure they are applying for the correct visa.

[1] eVisitor [subclass 651] — Online Applications

See: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/evisitor-651

European Union (EU) passport holders, and some other European passport holders, are eligible to apply individually online for an eVisitor visa to travel to and enter Australia. For a conference event, the most appropriate visa is the eVisitor (subclass 651) visa. Applications for eVisitor visas are free. Passport holders from the following countries can apply for an eVisitor visa online:

AndorraFranceLithuaniaRepublic of San Marino
AustriaGermanyLuxembourgSlovak Republic
CyprusIcelandThe NetherlandsSweden
Czech RepublicIrelandNorwaySwitzerland
DenmarkItalyPolandUnited Kingdom – British Citizen *
EstoniaLatviaPortugalVatican City

You need a separate eVisitor for each family member travelling with you to Australia, including those who are younger than 18 years of age and are included on your passport.

* You are not eligible to apply for the eVisitor if your only passport is a British National Overseas, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British Protected Person or British Subject passport.

See further information here: homeaffairs.gov.au

[2] Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) [subclass 601] — Online Applications

See: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601

Passport holders from a number of countries are eligible to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) to travel to and enter Australia. For a conference event, the most appropriate ETA is the ETA (Subclass 601). There is no visa application charge for ETA applications lodged online but a service fee of AUD20 is charged for use of the ETA website.  Passport holders from the following countries may apply for an ETA online:

  • Brunei – Darussalam
  • Malaysia
  • Canada
  • Singapore
  • Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region) *
  • South Korea
  • Japan
  • United States of America

* A Hong Kong Document of Identity (HKDI) cannot be used to apply for an ETA. Residents of Hong Kong require a citizen passport to apply for this visa.

Each family member travelling with you to Australia will need a separate ETA. This includes any children younger than 18 years of age who are included on your passport.

See further information here: homeaffairs.gov.au

[3] Visitor Visa [subclass 600] — Online or Paper Based Applications

See: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/visitor-600/tourist-stream-overseas#Overview

For countries not listed in [1] and [2] above, this visa lets you visit Australia for conference purposes for up to three, six or 12 months. The base application charge for this visa ranges from AUD$145 to AUD$1000. If you are outside Australia only certain passport holders can apply for this visa online.  If you cannot apply online, you may lodge a paper application. If you are not eligible to make an online application you should submit a paper application for the Visitor visa (subclass 600), which can be lodged at your nearest Australian Immigration office:

See further information here: homeaffairs.gov.au

Australian Visa Office Locations

To find the nearest Australian visa office to your current place of residence:

See: homeaffairs.gov.au

As this process may take up to 3 months, we strongly encourage you to begin the visa application process no later than 21 March 2022.

If you require a letter for your visa application:

In some cases, it will be necessary for you to obtain a letter from us stating that you will be attending the INPRA 9 conference. The process for requesting a visa letter is as follows:

  • Register for the conference here
  • Send us your request for a visa letter via email to inpra2020@uq.edu.au. Please include the following information:
    • Full name as it appears in your passport: Last name, First and middle names
    • Gender
    • Email address
    • Telephone number
    • Detailed postal address
    • Country of Passport; Passport Number; Passport Expiry Date
    • Current country of residence
    • Date of Birth
    • Will you be presenting at the conference? If so, please provide the paper or session you will be presenting.
    • Proposed visit dates to Australia
  • We will email the letter as a PDF to you unless otherwise requested.

We are only able to generate visa letters for paid attendees, so it is important that you register for the conference before requesting a visa letter.

If you have any questions, please contact inpra2020@uq.edu.au


The information provided on this page is a guide only. It is the responsibility of the individual traveller to make sure they are applying for the correct visa.